Resource type: Event
Price band: Free
Key stage: KS1, KS2, KS3
Region(s): All of UK
National Share-a-Story Month was set up by the Federation of Children’s Book Groups as an annual celebration of the power of storytelling and story sharing. National Share-a-Story Month takes place through the month of May and each year has a different theme.
Supporting resources for National Share-a-Story Month are available on the FCBG website, including:
- Themed booklists.
- Competitions and activities to help celebrate NSSM.
About The Federation of Children’s Book Groups: The FCBG is an umbrella organisation that coordinates and supports the work of local Children’s Book Groups across the UK. As well as events for parents and children organised at a local level, the FCBG also organises the FCBG Children’s Book Award and other national events to help bring children and books together.
- The World Book Day website has a number of free story-sharing resources, including the Share a Story Corner where you can find video stories of popular picture books for younger children; and World of Stories, a selection of free audio books.
- Encourage readers to try a new book with an author interview or introductory video from ReadingZone.
- Toppsta is a book review site where young readers can post reviews of books they have read and recommend them to their peers. Teachers can set up Groups for a whole class or a bookclub to see what their pupils are reading and reviewing.
- Reading aloud is a key component of Reading for Pleasure pedagogy. Find out more about the role it plays in developing young readers here.
Visit the resource
Rate this resource
Click on the star to rate it!