Resource type: Book awards
Price band: Free
Key stage: KS1, KS2, KS3, KS4
Region(s): All of UK
The Information Book Award was established in 2010 to reinforce the importance of information books and celebrate the high standard of titles available. There are three separate age categories:
- Under 7s
- Ages 7-12
- Ages 12-16
The award is administered by the School Library Association and judged by a panel that includes experienced librarians. Winners are selected for each category and there is also an overall winner.
There is the opportunity for young readers to ‘shadow’ the judging and to vote for their favourite title in each category and their overall winner in the Children’s Choice Awards.
- The shortlist is announced in early June and shadowing for the Children’s Choice Awards starts.
- The winners of the Information Book Award and the Children’s Choice Award are announced in November.
About School Library Association: The SLA is a charity that supports everyone involved in school libraries. It has 23 regional branches across the UK and Ireland and provides training, advice and resources, as well as publishing a quarterly journal – The School Librarian.
- The SLA produces resources for schools and reading groups to accompany the shortlisted titles on their website.
- Find past winners and shortlisted titles here.
- There are three other children’s book awards for non-fiction: the Blue Peter Book Award – Best Book with Facts, the Young People’s Book Prize and the UKLA Information Book Award.
- Non-fiction November has more resources and book recommendations for non-fiction.
- Other book awards that offer an opportunity for children to vote for their favourite title(s) include the Blue Peter Awards, the Bookbug Picture Book Prize, the FCBG Children’s Book Award, the Carnegie and Kate Greenaway Shadowers’ Choice Awards, the Laugh Out Loud Book Awards, the Scottish Teenage Book Prize, the Shropshire Bookfest Book Awards, the Spark! School Book Awards, and the Young People’s Book Prize.
- For a full list of children’s book awards, click here.